Eagles Shut Out the Houston Tigers

As the SCA regular season play winds down the Liberty Eagles travelled to Houston to take on the Tigers. The Tigers were coming into the game 3W-3L, while the Liberty Eagles were sitting at 6-2 after a five-game winning streak. At midfield the team captains, Eagles #10 Tyler Watts and Tigers #72 Trevor Mitchell, met for the coin toss. Houston won the toss and elected to defer and receive the ball to start the second half.
Tanner Ripko #7 caught the ball at the five-yard line and carried out to the twenty-six-yard line, where the Eagles started their drive, which ended in a three-and-out punt.
The Tigers’ first possession did not yield a score, and the Eagles seemed a little more determined on their second possession. Carter Pruett #5 had a two-yard run on first down. Lucas Frazier #15 made a reception, but did not make it past the line of scrimmage. Tyler  Watts #10 ran for an Eagles first down on a near side end around run. Watts gained another first down with help from the O line, but the Eagles turned over on downs at fourth-and-nine.
Houston took over with :11 left in the quarter, but would have another three-and-out punt to start the second quarter. The game was a defensive battle with very little offensive success until the Eagles started scoring. 
First, it was Jester #8 with a TD. The two-point conversion was no good. Ripko #7 more than made up for a ten-hold holding penalty by running in a 43-yard TD, and this time the two-point conversion was good. It was Eagles 14, Tigers 0 with 2:08 left in the second quarter.
Fumbles prevented the Tigers from scoring, and at halftime the Eagles held the lead, 14 to 0.
Houston started the second half with possession, but the Eagles defense forced a three-and-out punt. The Eagles’ first possession in the third quarter was plagued by offensive penalties. On the third-and-eight, a pass from Watts to Drew Ripko #7 would move the chains. Watts #10 ran for a 52 -yard TD and Kal Acklin #3 scored the two-point conversion, bringing the score to 22-0.
Houston received the kickoff and on first-and-ten. Hughes #15 threw an INT to Zeb Cornman #33, who ran forty four yards for the TD. The Eagles failed on the two point conversion and the score was 28-0 with 5:01 in the third.
An onside kick by the Eagles to the unsuspecting Tigers, and Noah Jester #8 recovered the ball. It was first-and-ten at the fifty yard line, and Watts connected with Drew Ripko #7 for a twenty-yard gain. Carter Pruett ran for a first down, then Watts to Jester for an eighteen-yard TD, but the two point conversion attempt failed. The score was 34-0 Eagles.
Houston received the kickoff but couldn't gain a first down and on fourth-and-five. 285lb Lucas Barnes #79 came crashing through the line straight up the middle for a sack on Hughes #15 which resulted in a turnover on downs.
In the fourth quarter, the Tigers went four-and-out TOD. Eagle Tyler Watts #10 tossed the pigskin to Drew Ripko #7 for a 30-yard TD, but the extra point attempt was no good. The score was 40-0, Eagles.
Houston fumbled twice on their final possession, and ultimately turned over on downs. Liberty ran the clock out to win the game 40-0.
Liberty finished the regular season at 7-2 with a six-game winning streak. The Liberty Eagles will host the Houston Tigers Friday October 30 at 7:00 pm in the first round of district play.

Howell County News

110 W. Main St.,
Willow Springs, MO 65793

Comment Here